Learner Engagement analytics can be found in multiple places in your Thought Industries instance, including course level reporting, reporting hub, and learner profiles. This article covers where you can find this information and definitions of some key metrics found in the reports.
Views/Number of Views
This metric is a total sum of all views that are logged by a learner within a particular content item, which is defined as when a learner lands on a page and meets the criteria for page completion (which defaults to 3 seconds but can be configured differently via the # of seconds required for completion page setting and/or relevant completion criteria, depending on the page type.) This metric includes occasions when the learner views the page more than one time.
Time Spent (aka “view time” or “total hours”)
Time spent calculates how long an active learner spends on content pages within the site. To measure time on a given page, our system primarily tracks learner interactions within the page, but also enforces a backup “timer” every two minutes which logs the user as “active” regardless of page interaction.
However, in some cases we are unable to record time spent, even when a learner has clearly interacted with the content (i.e., has recorded % Complete or % Pages Viewed). This is due to a known limitation of web analytics which causes a view time to report as 0:00:00. This can occur in Thought Industries for a number of reasons, including:
- The learner is interacting with a content type that is hosted/tracked outside of Thought Industries, such as a standalone SCORM file (hosted in Rustici), an embedded web app, or other external activity.
- The learner bounces from the site before we are able to record activity (e.g., closes the browser within less than 2 minutes).
- Other variables like the learner’s device and private browsing mode are impacting Thought Industries' ability to determine activity.
Percent Pages Viewed/Content Viewed
Pages viewed within a content item divided by pages published.
Percent complete is calculated based on the course completion criteria you have defined for your content.
Most metrics about learner content in progress - Views, View Time, and Percent Pages Viewed - are tracked on the backend and then updated to the reporting database via a nightly job, which means these metrics are updated in reporting hub once daily.
Course Level Engagement Report
- From your homepage, select Courses > All Courses.
- Choose a course title where you would like to view the report and click into it.
- Navigate to the Release step of your course.
- From the left sidebar, select Reporting.
- Click the Engagement tab.
Course level reporting excludes panorama level data. To view these same reports with panorama learners, go through the Panorama Content List. Go to Panorama > Click on Panorama Name > Courses > Click on the three dots in the content row > Reporting > Assessments.
Learner Content Progress Details Report
The Learner Content Progress report provides insight into all content type activity across all learners. This log includes average completion time, views and enrollments across all content which allows you to view individual learner progress within a given course item. The log is filterable by content title, user client, user license, content tags, and learner.
- From the homepage, select Reporting > Reports.
- Under the Learner Actions section, select Learner Content Progress Details.
- The report will automatically run.
- Filter by content, client, license, tags, learner, or role type.
- After adjusting filters, click Update.
Progress within Learner Profile (Engagement tab)
- From your homepage, select to Users > Learners.
- Click on the name of the learner to open their profile.
- Navigate to the Engagement tab.
- Scroll down to the Engagement section and click the plus (+) sign next to an individual content item to expand engagement details.