Once a certificate is created, an admin can specify the expiration terms. Options include no expiration, expiration after a certain number of days, or expiration on a specific date.
Where do I find this?
Content > Manage Content > Click on Content Title > Completion Step > Certification Tab
How do I do this?
- From your homepage, select Content, then Manage Content.
- Click the Content Title for the course you want to alter and select the Completion Step.
- From the left sidebar, select the Certification Tab.
- In the Certifications section, you can either click New Certificate, or click the pencil icon to edit an existing certificate.
- Choose a Certification Expiration option:
Does not expire
The certificate will not expire. No further fields are required and the admin user can proceed to ‘Grant For’ selection.02
Expires on a date
The certificate will expire on the date specified. If selected, a date picker will populate for the admin to select the expiration date.03
Expires after a number of days
The certificate will expire after the specified number of days the learner was initially certified. If selected, a numerical field will populate for the admin to specify how many days after initial certificate the certificate will expire.
- Add any recertification instructions. This will include the action the learner needs to take in order to recertify. See our article about recertification for more information.
- Click Save.
Changing Expiration Dates per learner:
Certificate expiration dates are set at the content level. However, admin users with Granting Certifications permission can change the expiration date per learner using the Activity tab (Certificates section) in the Learner’s profile. Simply by clicking the pencil icon, users can select a new future date for the certificate to expire.
Displaying Expired Certificates to Learners
If necessary, you can display expired certificates to learners in their transcript as well as on their Dashboard in the Learner Activity widget.
To enable the setting, go to Settings > Certification > Transcript Settings.
As an admin, you can view the learner's transcript in their profile. Navigate to Users > Learners > click on learner's name > Transcript tab.
Admin view of Transcript with expired certificates:
Learners can access their transcript by navigating to their dashboard and clicking the user icon in the upper right-hand corner, then choose Transcript from the dropdown menu.
Learner view of Transcript with expired certificates:
What does this look like?
Learners will be able to see a certificate's expiration date on the learner dashboard.