Badges are assigned to learners once they have met specific badge criteria (e.g., earning a certain level of points). Badges are attached to an award type such as credits, CEUs, or points, and are earned once a user receives a specified amount. For example, at 10 points a learner receives a "Top Learner" badge, and at 50 points a learner receives a "Master Learner" badge. There are limitless possibilities for badge tiering.
Before creating badges, you will first need to create an award type (e.g., points), as well as any qualifications (e.g., course completion) that will dictate how learners will gain the "points" needed to earn their badges.
After setting up award types and award qualifications, you will be ready to create badges.
Where do I find this?
Settings > Gamification > Badges
How do I do this?
- Start by setting up award types and award qualifications. See our Setting Up Awards and Award Qualifications article for more information.
- Once your award types and qualifications are set up, go to your homepage and select Settings.
- From the left menu, select Gamification and then Badges.
- Click Add Badge and complete the following fields:
- Label the badge (e.g., High Achiever).
- Select the award type to attach the badge to (must already be created per step 1 above).
- Enter the number of "points" needed to receive the badge in the Grant Badge after # of field.
- Set an image to represent the badge by choosing one from our badge library, or by uploading your own.
- Click Save.
Both earned and earnable badges are displayed within the Badges & Leaderboard widget on the learner dashboard. Earned badges will appear in full color, while earnable badges will appear as greyed out. You must add the Badges & Leaderboard widget to the dashboard in order for learners to see it. To do this, go to Design > Layouts > Dashboard Layout.
What else do I need to know?
- Admins can manually grant awards to learners by going to Users > Learners, and locating the learner's email address. Click Manage for that user, and then click the Awards tab. By clicking Manually Grant Award, you will be able to select the award type, amount to award, as well as which content piece it should be attached to. If a learner is manually granted enough of a required award type, a badge will be granted.
Upon deletion of a badge, the badge will be removed from both the admin and learner views, even if it has been previously earned by a learner.
What does this look like?
Learner View (Badges & Leaderboard widget):