There are several built-in roles available on your learning site (Admin, Course Author, Instructor, etc.) However, depending on your specific needs, you may decide to create one or more custom roles for your learning site.
Once you decide to create a brand new role, you will want to customize it by assigning the appropriate permissions. Permissions are an important component in customizing and differentiating each unique role.
Below is a summary of our available permissions.
Custom roles are for users who should have access to the Thought Industries manager interface, and are not available for learners.
Where do I find this?
Users > Managers
How do I do this?
For more information on creating a new role, see our Managing Admin Users article.
When creating a new role, first decide if it should be a Default role or a Client role.
Default roles should be used when the manager needs access to site settings, general reporting, content editing, or management of learners outside of panoramas.
Giving panorama access to a custom Default role user is not recommended (assigning a panorama should be for panorama management purposes only). If you find yourself wanting to assign panorama access to a custom Default role, it should be changed to a Client role to manage the panorama itself.
Client roles should be used when the manager needs access to panorama settings, panorama content access, the licenses within the panorama, or management of learners inside of panoramas.
Every Client role user should be assigned a panorama and a sublicense (unless the permission for "Manage Multiple Clients" is on).
Not all permissions are available to Client roles (outlined in permissions detail below).
Our available permissions include:
- Manage content:
- Editing content: to edit and change settings on existing content.
- Editing unlocked content: to edit content on unlocked pages within courses
- *Creating content: to create new content. Note that you must also enable the Editing Content permission if you want to allow the user to edit.
- Emailing learners: to email all learners in assigned content.
- *Viewing content reports: to view content-specific report
- *Deleting content: to archive and/or delete content
- *Manage roster: for ILT and VILT content types
- Export SCORM: when using SCORM Connect functionality
- Access Master Question Bank: access question bank to add questions to page or add/edit questions in question bank (restricted for Client roles).
- *Manage Learning Paths: to create and edit Learning Paths. The Editing Content permission must be enabled to edit a Learning Path and the Creating Content permission must be on to create a Learning Path.
- Manage registration codes: to add and download registration codes.
- Manage redemption codes:
- Managing general redemption codes: to add and download redemption codes.
- *Viewing gifted redemption codes: to view gifted redemption codes. Must also have Managing General Redemption Codes enabled.
- *Manage assignments: to grade learner assignments from the Grading menu.
- *Manage eCommerce: to create and edit products under eCommerce.
- *Manage the public site: to change site theme, logo and other homepage elements.
- *Manage pages: to create and edit pages under the Pages menu.
- *Manage layouts: to edit layouts for built-in pages, such as catalog, dashboard, and registration.
- *Manage notifications: to manage campaigns (user-facing triggered emails) and notifications (automatic admin-facing notifications via SMTP, webhook or email).
- *Manage translations: to edit text labels for buttons and other elements within Translations.
- *Manage school settings: to enable Settings menu and instance-wide settings.
- Manage communications: to create and edit Onboarding surveys and learner notifications.
- Manage learners:
- Editing basic Info: to edit basic learner information such as first name, last name and email.
- Creating learners: to invite new learners.
- Change learner password
- *Refunding charges: to refund charges back to learners. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Managing subscriptions: to purchase subscriptions on learner's behalf with stored card info. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- Managing user access expiration
- *Editing Learner Role: to change a learner's role to a manager role. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Editing learner payment info: to change learners' saved payment information. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Granting Certificates: to grant and revoke certificates. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Managing Awards: to manage awards earned by learners. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Managing Custom Fields: to manage learner custom fields. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Granting access: to grant content access to learners. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- Revoking access: to revoke content access from learners. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- Disabling Login: to disable learners' ability to login. Must also enable Editing Basic Info permission.
- *Manage roles: to manage role permissions, add new users to roles, and view current users within a role.
- Moderate discussions: to edit, delete, and participate in, discussions. Must have some sort of content permission to access content and moderate discussions. Viewing Content Reports can be enabled to allow this without giving editing permission.
- Take Assessments on Behalf of Learners
- *View Reports: this enables Reporting menu for eCommerce, public site and content reports.
- Manage Clients:
- *Creating clients: to create new clients in Panorama.
- *Editing and Deleting Clients: to edit existing clients in Panorama.
- Viewing Client Reports: to view reports on content within a client in Panorama.
- Emailing Client Learners: to email all learners in client courses.
- Manage Multiple Clients: to add drop-down to dashboard allowing a manager to switch between clients in Panorama.
- Viewing Licenses: to view sublicense name, provisioned courses, provisioned content tags, seat limit, and access days.
- Edit Licenses: to edit sublicense name, provisioned courses, provisioned content tags, seat limit, and access days.
- *Manage Central Assets: to view, edit, or add items in the Central Asset Manager.
- *Enable Knowledge Center access: to access the Academy and Thought Industries training.
* Use caution when creating roles for clients as these permissions may reveal non-client information. Always test your role before releasing it to client users.
What else do I need to know?
- You can edit the name of a Custom Role after creation. Go to Users > Managers > Choose Role> Edit Permissions for the role you want to edit. Update name and Save.
- You can delete the Custom Role if no users are attached to it. Go to Users > Managers > Choose Role > Edit Permissions for the role you want to delete. Go to the bottom of the page and click Delete Role.
- Content access is assigned on a per-user basis unless Grant Access to All Courses is enabled.
- The Client Role type is meant for roles that should be confined to one or more clients, with no access to items in the primary instance.