Thought Industries' bulk import functionality is an alternative to adding or updating learners in your instance one-by-one. Below you find information for using bulk import to update content access and status for your existing learners. For information on importing new learners to the platform, see our Importing New Learners in Bulk article.
Where do I find this?
Users > Learners > Bulk Import
How do I do this?
- From your homepage, select Users.
- From the left menu, select Learners.
- At the bottom of the page, click Bulk Import.
- Click Download CSV Template.
- Open the downloaded CSV and revise the learner information, as needed. Save CSV.
At a minimum, firstName, lastName, and email are required for all bulk imports so we can identify and add or update the correct learner.
There is a limit of 1000 rows for bulk import CSV files.
ISO Date Format
All dates should be formatted in ISO Date & Time.
Format structure: YYYY-MM-DDTHH:mm:ss.SSSZ
See this article on using ISO Date Formats for Bulk Imports for more details and instructions.
- Next, go back to the platform and click I've Downloaded and Filled in the Template.
- Click Choose File and locate your saved CSV file. Click Open.
- Specify what content the learner should have access to by adding the content, subscription, Learning Path or client access that will be applicable to all learners in the import batch (whether applicable for status or access).
- Customize the Invite Message field if you'd like to customize the invitation text (optional).
- Click Next Step.
- Review your import. If there are issues with your CSV, you'll be notified of the specific errors and you'll have the option to correct the errors or upload the successful rows.
- Assuming there aren't any errors in your CSV, you'll see a confirmation page summarizing all learners who will be imported.
- Click That Looks Good to complete the import.
Updating existing learners' access:
- Course, webinar, article, video, and single SCORM content specified in the bulk import process will be added to learners' access.
Learning Paths, subscriptions, and client access are not available for update on existing users.
- Existing access will not be removed through granting additional access.
- User details will not be changed.
- No invites are sent to existing learners.
Updating existing learners' status:
- Not Started, Started and Completed statuses are updated for the learner on content items specified in the bulk import process.
- If the learner already has access to content, then only status will be updated when specified.
- If status is not specified, there will be no change (previously accessed content will not update to not-started even though that is the default).
Completion Date can only be utilized if the learner hasn't already recorded a completed date for the selected piece of content - it's meant to create a completed date record, not to update a record. If the user has no recorded completed date for a piece of content, you can set a date manually using the bulk import process by filling out the status column as 'completed' and using ISO date format for the completed date. Select the content that should get the new completed date during the bulk import process.
Updating existing learners' language (only available if the Multilingual Package is enabled in your instance):
- Valid language values include any available language key (a two character reference to Languages, both default and custom, in the Translations area of the platform). Only one preferred language per learner.
- Language keys can be found at the end of the URL when on the correct language tab in the Translations area of the platform.
What else do I need to know?
- Keep in mind, bulk updates are not immediate and there will be a delay depending on the size of the imported CSV.
- Double check that the bulk import data will grant the correct content access.
Content access can only be removed for learners individually.
At this time, it is not possible to reassign access for existing users into Panorama accounts.
What does this look like?