A subscription grants learners access to select content through periodic payments, either monthly or yearly. Learners will only have access to the content that is included in the subscription for as long as they subscribe. You have full control over what content is included and for how long.
Where do I find this?
Ecommerce > Ecommerce Items > Add Ecommerce Item > Subscription
How do I do this?
- From your homepage, select Ecommerce.
- Click Ecommerce Items, then Add Ecommerce Item.
- Select the subscription type.
- Add a name for your subscription.
- Next, you will be asked to add the settings/display info for your subscription (name, description, image, pricing, etc.)
- If you would like to offer a free trial, enter the length of your trial period into the Trial Period Days field.
- If you would like to include Instructor Messaging, toggle to "Yes" on that option.
- Toggle "All Access?" to "Yes" if you want the subscription to grant access to all contents in your instance, as opposed to a subset of contents.
If you configured your subscription to be "All Access" and "Purchasable", it will appear on every course detail page along with the standard enroll option for that standalone course. Only one subscription should have both of these settings enabled at one time.
- Alternatively, you can search for specific courses that should be included, or make use of tags to assign content. Note that updating courses for an existing subscription will automatically update access for all current subscribers.
- Enter shipping and tax information, if applicable (see our Setting up Shipping Rates article).
Do not enable the Available For Purchase option until you are ready to make the subscription live to your learners.
- To add the subscription to the catalog, toggle "Show in Content Catalog?" to "Yes".
Users can only add one subscription to their cart at a time.
- Make sure all applicable settings are configured, then click Save.
Learners will access subscription content, and choose which course(s) they would like to view, via the Catalog widget on their dashboard. Therefore, it is crucial that the Catalog widget remain on the learner dashboard. Once a learner opens a course, it will move to the Dashboard Access widget that shows which courses are in progress, completed, etc.
What else do I need to know?
- You can easily edit your subscription at any time by going to eCommerce > Actions > Edit. This path will bring you back into the Settings tab for that particular subscription item.
If you have Stripe set up on your instance, you will be unable to change a subscription's price once it is available for purchase. Therefore, you should ensure you input the correct price(s) before making it purchasable.
- Learners are able to manage and renew subscriptions, and update their details.
- To add tabs that will display under the subscription image on the detail page, go to Ecommerce > Ecommerce Items > Actions > Edit and select Tabs in the left menu.
What does this look like?
Once you've clicked Add eCommerce Item, you need to select the subscription type. You will be prompted to add a name for your subscription.
Next, you will be asked to add the settings/display info for your subscription. Make sure all applicable settings are configured, then click Save.