Smart widgets are available on the page builder to use on multiple layouts. You can add these to any common page (homepage, dashboard, catalog, etc.), or to your custom created pages. These widgets allow you to dynamically display content by pulling existing courses, articles, videos, etc. to appear on any given page.
You can either pull content by individually selecting items, or by writing a search query for the system to find the corresponding content. Smart widgets will display updated titles, text, images, etc. by pulling directly from the content items or query in real time, as well as links to the content.
The catalog settings within each piece of content control what is displayed on the smart widgets.
Smart widgets also allow you to manually create content in order to display static, curated content. When you manually create content for a smart widget, you input text, images, links, etc. directly into the widget, and that is where the displayed values live.
Smart Widget Options
Featured Content Tiles:
This widget offers two layout options: standard or descriptive. With either, you can set a sort order, number of items to display and row width. Choose whether to display content images or descriptions, and create a sidebar using static content or an RSS feed.
- Standard layout reflects a similar display to how content appears on the catalog.
- Displays ribbons
- Displays content type and source
- Displays less description text (75 characters)
- Displays view details CTA
- Descriptive layout allows for a longer description to be displayed and excludes a view visuals:
- Excludes ribbons
- Displays content type and source (only if both are input)
- Displays more description text (150 characters)
- Excludes view details CTA
Featured Content Carousel:
This widget allows learners to scroll through a carousel by clicking the next arrow. You can set a sort order, number of items to display, and row width. Choose whether to display content images or descriptions, and create a sidebar using static content or an RSS feed.
Hero Image Slider:
This widget allows learners to scroll through a slider by clicking the next arrow. You can set a sort order and number of items to display. Choose whether to display content descriptions, and create a sidebar using static content or an RSS feed.
Image Overlay Tiles:
This widget, like the others, allows you to set sort order, number of items to display, and row width. Choose whether to display content descriptions, and create a sidebar using static content or an RSS feed.
Smart Widget Tips & Tricks
- Select Use New Title Display for a left-aligned title and the option for a CTA. This new title option allows you to add a customized CTA button on the upper right-hand side of the title area. The button text and link can be completely customized.
- On all smart widgets, you have the option to add a sidebar with static content or populated from an RSS feed.
- Don’t mix and match content types with different image ratios within the same widget. All smart widgets support horizontal images while only a few support vertical images. The Featured Content Carousel and the Hero Image Slider are the only smart widgets that support vertical images. If these image ratios are mixed within the same widget, it will result in strange visuals on your page.
- You can choose to dynamically display content (either by individually selecting each item or by writing a search query to pull items), or to manually create content (by entering text, linking info and uploading images into the widget).
- When manually creating content, ensure your images are all the same size. This will keep each tile within the widget uniform and will result in the most aesthetically pleasing display.
Adding Smart Widgets to Standard Layouts
- From your homepage, select Design.
- From the left menu, select Layouts.
- Locate the page that you want to alter, and click Actions, then Edit.
- Choose a widget from the left sidebar and complete the relevant fields. Smart widgets include:
- Featured Content Tiles
- Featured Content Carousel
- Hero Image Slider
- Image Overlay Tiles
- Use the arrows for the new widget to move the widget up or down on the page, if desired. New widgets are always placed at the bottom by default.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the widget.
- Click the trash icon to delete the widget.
- Click Save.
Any saved changes to the widget's content will be live immediately.
Adding Smart Widgets to Custom Pages
- From your homepage, select Design.
- From the left menu, select Pages.
- Locate the page that you want to alter, and click Actions, then Design.
- See steps 4-8 above.