The Bulk Purchasing feature allows learners to purchase multiple or bulk seats of access to content, collections, and a la carte collections.
Use Case Information
With bulk purchasing, multiple seats or access can be purchased by one individual. Once multiple seats are purchased, the purchaser will receive redemption codes to distribute to a group of learners so they can gain access to the content.
When configured you can control the following:
- Reduce admin lift by providing self service options for group access and redemption distribution
- Allow users to purchase access to on-demand content for multiple users
- Allow users to purchase multiple seats to Webinars or In-Person events
- Allow users to purchase access to a collection of content for multiple users
How to Set Up Bulk Purchasing
- From your dashboard, follow one of the paths below to navigate to either a piece of content or a collection.
In Content: Click Content > Manage Content > Click on Content Title > Enrollment Step > Ecommerce
In Collections or A La Carte Collections: Ecommerce > Ecommerce Items > Actions > Edit
- Once you are on the page with ecommerce settings, toggle "Enable Bulk Purchasing" to "Yes".
View of Content Setup
View of A La Carte Collection Setup
- Seat Tier and Seat Package options will appear. See below for more information on Seat Tiers and Seat Packages.
- Modify and/or create new Seat Tiers and Price per Seat fields.
- Pricing is required for all Seat Tiers.
- Modify and/or create new Seat Packages.
- Click Save.
In order to see ecommerce options in the settings interface of your content items (including "Enable Bulk Purchasing"), make sure "Free Access with Registration" is toggled to "No" under Content > Manage Content > Click on Content Title > Enrollment Step > Access.
Understanding Seat Tiers and Seat Packages
Seat Tiers are used to set price breaks at certain quantity milestones. They are priced up to the number of seats in the tier. By default, there is always a last "& Up" tier that will need a set price as well.
For example, if the price for each individual seat is typically $20.00 per seat, but you'd like the learner to get a discount for buying 10 seats, you should set the first seat tier at 9 seats for $20.00. You will see the "& Up" tier is now set at "10 seats & Up" which you can then price at less than $20.00 per seat to give a discount for a bulk purchase.
Seat Packages define what quantities will be available for purchase on the detail page. One seat is available by default for a learner to buy or gift. Any other number of seats you would like to be available for purchase should be added as a Seat Package. The price for that Seat Package is automatically calculated based on which Seat Tier it falls into.
For example, if you use the Seat Tiers above and you have Seat Packages available for quantities 2-10 (2, 3, 4, etc.; remember one seat is available by default), buying 8 seats would cost the user $160.00 (8x$20.00 per seat).
You would like to offer learners the option to buy any quantity of seats between 1-20. The learner would get a price break when 10 seats or 20 seats purchased.
Seat Tiers Set Up
|Seat Count||Cost per Seat||Notes|
|9 Seats||$20.00 per seat||Purchasing 9 seats or less will be priced at $20.00 per seat|
|19 Seats||$18.00 per seat||Purchasing 10-19 seats will be priced at $18.00 per seat|
|20 Seats & Up||$17.00 per seat||Purchasing 20 seats will be priced at $17.00 per seat. This last "& Up" Tier is automatically placed for you, but you have to set a price.|
Seat Packages Set Up
- One seat is automatically set up for purchase.
- Set up the packages for 2-20. Package prices will line up with the Seat Tiers per seat price.
- Example: 15 seats =$270.00 per package, which is automatically calculated based on $18.00 per seat.
Notes, Tips, and Considerations
- After purchase, redemption codes are available for download to the learner from the purchase confirmation page, via the confirmation email, and from the Purchases tab on the learner's profile page, which is found by visiting the learner's dashboard, clicking the name dropdown menu, clicking Profile, then Purchases.
View of Confirmation Page
View of Confirmation Email
View of Learner Profile
- In the redemption code interface (Users > Redemptions Codes), the learner’s name will be used as the title for the randomly-generated redemption codes. If the learner returns and purchases an additional set of codes, the title of the redemption code will have the learner’s name with a number appended to the end. Each new bulk purchase will increase the number in sequential order.
- Similar to manager-created redemption codes, admins can add, download, and delete codes via the redemption codes interface.
- Alternatively, managers can add, download, and delete codes in the learner’s profile under the Access tab.
- If a coupon code is used with a bulk purchase, the coupon will apply to the price per seat.