If you are interested in offering a discount for your learners, you can create coupons for them to apply to their purchases.
Use Case Information
Coupons allow you to add a discount option to the eCommerce Integration. Coupons can be applied in a varitey of ways. When configured you can control the following:
- Provide discounts based on percentage or amount off
- Apply Course Specific Coupons
- Apply Subscription Coupons
- Apply Global Coupons to various content Items
There are three types of coupons you can create in your platform:
Content Level Coupons
Content Level Coupons can only be applied to the specific piece of content it is created for. If you are interested in offering discounts at the content level where these coupons can ONLY be applied to a specific piece of content, please refer to this article.
Subscription Coupons offer discounts on subscriptions created in the eCommerce section of the platform. Please refer to this article if offering subscription coupons.
Global coupons, otherwise known as Global A la Carte Coupons, can be created to apply toward any individual piece of content, collection, or product. You can set up the desired coupon, along with any limits that should apply, and distribute to learners for use at checkout. Read on to learn more about how to set these up!
How to Create a Global Coupon
To create a Global A la Carte Coupon:
- From your homepage, select Ecommerce. Then click Global A La Carte Coupons.
- Click Add Coupon.
- Fill in appropriate information
- Coupon Code: Enter the specific code you will distribute to learners.
- Max Redemptions: Determine the # of redemptions you'd like to allow. If left blank, the default is unlimited redemptions.
- Percent Off OR Amount Off: Enter either the desired percentage or $ amount discount. If entering Percent Off, this must be a positive integer between 1 and 99 and cannot include a decimal point.
- Applies To: Choose All Learners, Returning Learners Only, or New Learners Only.
- Redeem By: Enter a date the coupon can be redeemed by. If left blank, there will be no expiration date.
- Can be used multiple times within the same order?: Here you can decide whether the coupon would apply to all items within an order or just one, since this is a coupon that is applied globally.
Activated?: Lastly, you must activate your coupon before learners can apply it during checkout.
Learner's have two chances to apply the coupon to their order, first on the Detail Page and then again on the Checkout Page.
- Click Save.
You can also import a la carte coupons in bulk with our Bulk Import Coupons API endpoint. Check out API documentation here. Please also download the Field Definitions document and sample CSV file attached to the bottom of this article.
Thought Industries is not responsible for the distribution of your coupon codes.
Learner View Detail Page
Learner View Checkout
Appending Coupon Codes to URLS
You can also append a specific coupon code directly to a content item detail page or ecommerce item detail page URL. This will send learners directly to the checkout flow with the coupon applied, bypassing the learner's step of applying a coupon code during checkout.
Learning Paths are not supported for appended URLs with coupon codes.
Coupon codes can be appended to URLs for any content or ecommerce item, except learning paths. Here are a couple examples to show you the way!
- To append your coupon code to individual courses, use this URL structure
- To append your coupon code to course collections, use this URL structure
To find the URL structure (or slug) to start with, try previewing the item! Take note of the slug in the address bar of your browser.