Create custom reports using Reporting Hub's flexible, personalized capabilities to ensure the most critical reports are ready whenever you need them. We hope by utilizing the all new Reporting Hub Explore, you are able to gain valuable insights on key program elements –from content performance to learner engagement to revenue, subscriptions, and registrations– in order to better manage these elements to meet business objectives, prioritize content management/authoring and investment, and grow the program.
Where do I find this?
Reporting Hub > Explore
How do I do this?
This article covers the points below:
- Navigating the Explore landing page
- Viewing Base Configurations from Explore
- Customizing & Saving Reports from Explore
- Organizing Reports
- Downloading a Report
Navigating the Explore landing page
- From the homepage, navigate to Reporting Hub, then Explore.
- You will land on the "Start Building" tab. If your end goal is to build a custom report, this is always the tab to start from.
- This tab has reporting categories with prompts (or questions) to help you find the right base configuration to build from. See the next section on "Viewing Base Configurations from Explore" for more information.
- There are also tabs for Looks and Dashboards. These tabs are where any saved custom reports will live. This article will go over how to save reports as looks and to dashboards a little later.
Viewing Base Configurations from Explore
- After navigating to the Explore page and landing on the "Start Building" tab, choose a question that you feel would be the best starting point for your custom report.
Example End Goal: I want to create a report that captures how many learners have joined my site in Q1 2021.
Next, choose a question that will fit that end goal the best.
Example Question: How many learners do I have?
- Click on the question that you've chosen.
- The data that you will see on this Explore page for the question is called a base configuration.
Base configurations may look different from question to question based on the visualization method chosen. You can update the visualization by clicking on the different options in the visualization tool bar:
If you would like to know which fields are in each base configuration at a glance, please view/download the document attached.
Customizing and Saving Reports from Explore
- At this point, you've chosen your question and you've navigated to the base configuration.
- To start customizing, you can add more dimensions or filters to learn more about your data.
Example: Let's add a filter to narrow down my learners count to only learners who have joined in Q1.
- To add a dimension to the visualization, simply click on the dimension in the list.
- To add a dimension as a filter, hover over the dimension and click FILTER to the right of the dimension title (see GIF in example above).
- To update the results after adding dimensions or filters, click Run.
Once the report is customized, you can save the report as a Look or to a Dashboard. Here's a quick reminder on the definitions of both:
- To save the report as a Look, click the gear icon in the top right next to the Run button.
- Click Save as a Look.
- Title the Look and add a description (description is optional).
- Decide if you would like the Look to be just for you [Personal] or for others to view as well [Group].
Your personal Looks will display a small icon with your initials on the Look tile.
- Click Save.
- To save the report to a Dashboard, click the gear icon in the top right next to the Run button.
- Click Save to a Dashboard.
- Title the Look (otherwise known as a single data visualization) and add a description (description is optional).
- Decide if you would like to add the data visualization to a Dashboard that only you have access to [Personal] or to a Dashboard that others can view as well [Group].
You can create a new Dashboard at this point if you'd like to add this Look to a Dashboard that hasn't been created yet. Click New Dashboard in the bottom left of the pop up, enter a Dashboard Title and click OK.
- Select the Dashboard and click Save to Dashboard.
Use the new folder system on the Looks and Dashboards tabs to keep reports organized and have the ability to easily find what you need.
Navigate to the Looks or Dashboards tab and then follow the steps below.
- To create a new folder, click on the Add New Folder button in the top right OR click on Add New Folder from a tile dropdown.
- Give the folder a name and click Save.
- To assign a folder to a Look or Dashboard, use the dropdown menu in each tile to choose a folder. It will automatically save your choice.
- To filter by a folder, click a check box for the folder from the left menu. The results will automatically update.
- Uncheck the folder to clear the results.
- To edit or delete a folder, click a check box for the folder from the left menu. The results will automatically update.
- Hover over the folder name above the results to see the pencil icon and trash icon.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the folder name. Click Save.
- Click the trash icon to delete the folder. Confirm you would like to delete the folder by clicking Yes. The folder will be removed from any existing reports.
Editing a Folder:
Deleting a Folder:
Downloading a Report
For admin, there are two options to download report data:
Option 1: Download Dashboard data.
This means if the report has more than one data tile, you will get results from all tiles.
Click the gear icon in the top right. From this menu, you can choose to download the dashboard as a CSV or PDF.
Option 2: Download results from an individual data tile or a Look.
This option has more format options as well as an option to download all results if needed.
See further instructions below on how to accomplish this.
- Hover over the top right corner of the Look.
- Click the gear icon to reveal the menu.
- Click Download.
- Choose your format and options.
If the results are greater than 500 rows, you can choose "All Results" under Limit to go beyond that default row limit.
- Click Download.