The new Dual Roles feature allows a user to be both a manager and learner without having to use separate email addresses. Dual Roles are set up by a user with ‘Manage Roles’ permissions through the manager profile.
Where do I find this?
Configuration: Users > Managers > Choose Role or Search for User > Click on User's Name > Details tab
How do I do this?
To configure a dual role:
- From your homepage, go to Users, then click Managers.
The user has to be in a manager role currently (built in or custom) in order to create a dual role.
- Click on the Role Name for the role the user is currently attached to or search for the user. Once identified, click on the User's Name to access their profile.
- By default, you will land on the Details tab. If you are not currently on the Details tab, navigate to it and locate the section header "Role".
- Click "Create learner profile".
To navigate between the manager and learner profile as an Admin:
- You can navigate between the learner and manager profile from the Details tab - Role section.
- Users > Managers > Click on User's Name > Detail tab > Role section
- To navigate to the learner profile for example, go to the Detail tab > Role section in the Manager profile and click "View and manage the learner profile".
Currently, there is only one way in the platform interface to check if a manager or learner is a dual role and that is by navigating into a user's profile and checking the "Role" section on the Details tab. If you need to check for this data point in bulk, you can use the User Details endpoint via API because it provides the Learner ID and the Manager ID.
To use the dual role:
- Log in using the email address that has been configured as a dual role.
- By default, the dual role user will generally land on the manager side of their dashboard (dashboards can be slightly different for different managers depending on permissions).
- To use the learner account - From the manager dashboard, click on "Switch to Learner" in the bottom left navigation menu.
- To use the manager account - If you've switched to the learner account, you can switch back by clicking "Return to Management" in the banner at the top of the learner dashboard.
The "Return to Management" option only displays on learner dashboards currently. If you switch to the learner profile and navigate away from the dashboard, the option to "Return to Management" will not appear again until you've navigated back to the learner dashboard.
Contact Tech Success & Support
If you need to disable either the manager or the learner role from a dual role user, please contact Tech Success & Support for assistance.
What else do I need to know?
- A company can also specify dualRole (boolean) during SSO and specify the role alongside access attributes (purchasedCourses, etc.)
- The information on the Details tab of the learner profile of a dual role is intentionally disabled. Any detail modifications will be made in the management profile and will sync with the learner profile.
- Dual Roles cannot be impersonated.
- Actions taken as a learner will be reported on in reporting.
- If the learner role is disabled in a dual role, reporting data for historical learner actions performed as a dual role user will still show in reports after the learner role is disabled.
What does this look like?
Manager Profile View:
Switching between learner and manager roles: