Both digital and physical products can be created and sold on your learning site.
Use Case Information
Using the ecommerce options, it is possibel to create Product, both digital and phsyical, to promote. You can enable taxes and even define shipping parameters on physical products. You can attach products to course using the detail page tabs or have them be standalone items in the catalog widget.
Configuration of a Product
- From your homepage, select Ecommerce.
- Click Ecommerce Items, then Add Ecommerce Item.
- Select the Product template.
- Add a title for your product.
- This title will be displayed to the public.
- Next, you will be asked to add the settings/display information for your product
- Product Name: The learner-facing title
- Short Description: The description that displays in the catalog, as well as above the detail page image.
- Modal Description: Opt to offer your product as an add on when your learners are purchasing your courses of other content.
- Image Aspect Ratio: Choose the image aspect ratio to reflect the size of either a square image or a standard video image.
- Tags: Use a tag to help you stay organized, as well filter and find this product easily in your eCommerce interface.
- Custom Fields: adding any value for your Custom Fields that were previously created in Settings > Content > Organize and Display. This value will help your learners filter and find this product.
- Meta Title: Use for Search Engine Optimization purposes.
- Meta Description: Use for Search Engine Optimization purposes.
- Confirmation: This confirmation message displays after your learner completes a purchase.
- Image: Use for both catalog thumbnail and detail page image.
- Ribbon: Apply the appropriate Ribbon from the selection you have created in your Settings > Content > Organization and Display.
- Related Products: Suggest related products for your learners to view and purchase.
- SKU: Use for reporting purposes.
- Price: The actual retail price that appears on the catalog thumbnail as well as on the detail page.
- Suggested Retail Price: This price is displayed with a strikethrough and appears on both the catalog thumbnail and detail page.
- Variations: If your product is offered in different sizes, colors, etc., use Variations in order to display all available product options.
- Physically Shipped: Toggle to Yes if the products included in this product need to be physically shipped to your learners. See our Setting up Shipping Rates article for more details.
- Taxable: The Avalara tax settings are configured at Settings > Integration > Avalara and can be applied to make the product taxable.
Available for Purchase: Toggle to "Yes" to expose the price in your catalog and allow learners to purchase the item.
Do not enable the Available for Purchase option until you are ready to make the bundle live to your learners.
- Show in Catalog: Toggle to Yes to release the product so it is exposed in your catalog.
Product Type: The template you have used to create the product will be exposed to your learners, however, this is fully customizable and could be edited to reflect your language.
- Click Save.
Admin View of Configuration
Learner View of Product Detail Page
Adding Tabs to the Detail Page
At the right of the subscrption editor, you will have the option to add custom tabs using the provided templates. To do this, click Add Tab and select a tab type.
There are 3 different tabs available:
A Free Text editor, also known as a WYSIWYG, to allow you to add any infomation, images and formation as needed.
The Instructors tab allows for the addition of a full name as standard text, A Bio which is also a free text editor and a headshot. the Headshot has a suggested size of 400px by 400px.
The Products tab allows you to attach products, digital or physical, that you have set up in the eCommerce section of Thought Industries. These Items can then be added to the cart and made purchasable by the user visiting the detail page.
Notes, Tips and Considerations
When considering offering products for your users to purchase, here are some additional facts to keep in mind:
- You can easily edit your product at any time by going to Ecommerce > Ecommerce Items > Actions > Edit. This path will bring you back into the Settings tab for that particular product item.
- To add tabs that will display under the product image on the detail page, go to Ecommerce > Ecommerce Items > Actions > Edit and select Tabs in the left menu.
- Products can be linked to selected content and displayed on a tab on the content detail page (see our Building a Detail Page article).
- Products can be included as part of a collection.