The onboarding survey allows you to capture information during registration. The onboarding survey displays to learners after registration, but before they access the learner dashboard. It only displays once and learners who are already registered are not prompted to retake the survey if changes are made.
Use Case Information
Learners automatically supply their first name, last name, and email address when they register. However, you might need additional data for your learners. If so, a custom onboarding survey is an easy solution.
When configured you can control the following:
- Store information on the learner record
- Use gathered information in Reporting Hub
- Send gathered information to your enterprise systems via webhook, SFTP or API configurations
Creating an Onboarding Survey
- From your homepage, select Communications.
- From the left menu, select Onboarding Survey.
Only one onboarding survey is supported for your public site. However, each Panorama can have its own onboarding survey.
- Next, begin building your survey by clicking Add a Question. There are four question types available.
- Single Field: when you want just a few words as a response from your learner.
- Long Text: when you want an answer that is at least one sentence.
- Drop-down List: when you want your learner to pick just one option from a list of choices.
- Select Boxes: when you want your learner to be able to pick more than one option from a list of choices.
- Once you've selected the type, enter your question.
- Toggle Required Question to Yes if you want to make it mandatory.
- You also have the option to attach questions to reference data points (learner reference 1, learner reference 2, etc.), and these reference points will display in most Thought Industries reports. Since there are 10 learner reference fields, you can attach 10 of your survey questions to learner reference fields.
You can attach Custom Learner Fields to Learner Reference Fields for reporting purposes. However, these onboarding survey selections will override any attachments between Custom Learner Fields and Learner Reference Fields.
- Click Add Question.
- Repeat steps 3-7 for each additional question you'd like to add to your survey. Add as many questions as you'd like.
- Click Preview to view your onboarding survey. At any time, you can click the pencil icon to make edits, or the trash icon to delete a question. If you want to delete all questions, click Delete Onboarding Questions.
The onboarding survey feature can be used with any type of sign-up (e.g., individual course purchase, subscription purchase, SSO, etc.).
Each Panorama can have its own onboarding survey.
- From your homepage, select Panorama.
- Then select the panorama you wish to update by selecting its Panorama Title.
- From here, select Communications.
- Finally, select Onboarding and configure based on the steps above.
The client-specific survey will override the global survey for any learners associated with that client. If a client does not have a specific Onboarding survey set up, the global survey will display by default.
Reporting & Notifications for Onboarding Survey Data
You can view survey responses in the Onboarding Responses Log. Questions do not have to be attached to a Learner Reference Field in order to be recorded in the Onboarding Responses Log. To view this report, go to Reporting Hub > Library > Onboarding Responses Log.
If you've attached the survey questions to a Learner Reference Field, any data collected via an onboarding survey is saved in the user's profile.
If you would like to utilize this onboarding survey data in other reports beyond the Onboarding Responses Log, we recommend attaching the questions to Learner Reference Fields because Learner Reference Fields are available in other base configurations throughout Reporting Hub.
To be notified when a survey is submitted, go to Settings > Integrations > Notifications.
You can set up a webhook notification to receive Onboarding Survey data as it's submitted. Questions do not have to be attached to learner reference fields in order to come through via webhook.