By default, any registered learner is required to fill in their first name, last name, and email address. If you are interested in collecting additional data post-registration, you can create a custom onboarding survey. This information will be saved in the user record and can be sent to your enterprise systems via webhook or SFTP.
The onboarding survey will display to learners one time, after registration, but before they access the learner dashboard.
Where do I find this?
Communications > Onboarding Survey
How do I do this?
- From your homepage, select Communications.
- From the left menu, select Onboarding Survey.
- Next, begin building your survey by clicking Add a Question. There are four question types available.
- Single Field: when you want just a few words as a response from your learner.
- Long Text: when you want an answer that is at least one sentence.
- Drop-down List: when you want your learner to pick just one option from a list of choices.
- Select Boxes: when you want your learner to be able to pick more than one option from a list of choices.
- Once you've selected the type, enter your question.
- Toggle "Required Question" to "Yes" if you want to make it mandatory.
- You also have the option to set up to ten questions as reference data points (learner reference 1, learner reference 2, etc.), and these reference points will display in most Thought Industries reports.
You can also attach Custom Learner Fields to Learner Reference Fields for reporting purposes. However, these onboarding survey selections will override any attachments between Custom Learner Fields and Learner Reference Fields (i.e. if you've attached a Custom Learner Field and an Onboarding Survey question response to the same Learner Reference Field, the Onboarding Survey question response will display in the learner's profile and reporting instead of the Custom Learner Field answer).
- Click Add Question.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for each additional question you'd like to add to your survey. Add as many questions as you'd like.
- Click Preview to view your onboarding survey. At any time, you can click the pencil icon to make edits, or the trash icon to delete a question. If you want to delete all questions, click the red button, Delete Onboarding Questions.
If you are using the Panorama functionality, you can also create an onboarding survey for each individual client at Panorama > Actions > Edit > Communications > Onboarding.
- The client-specific survey will override the global survey for any learners associated with that client. If a client does not have a specific Onboarding survey set up, the global survey will display by default.
What else do I need to know?
- One onboarding survey is supported for your public site.
- The onboarding feature can be used with any type of sign-up (e.g., individual course purchase, subscription purchase, free registration, SSO).
- If changes are made to an onboarding survey, previously registered learners are not prompted to re-take the survey.
- Any data collected via an onboarding survey is saved in the user record. You can view this data at Reporting Hub > Library > Onboarding Responses, or via webhook.
- You can also set up a notification for when an "onboarding survey is submitted". To do this, go to Settings > Integrations > Notifications.
- For more information on notifications, or on how to set up webhooks/SFTP transfers, see our Setting Up Automated Notifications article.
What does this look like?
Admin View (Global Onboarding Survey):
Admin View (Panorama Client Onboarding Survey):