You can choose to have your certificates never expire, or to expire after a set number of days or on a specific date. For certificates that are set to expire, you have the option to set up recertification instructions.
Where do I find this?
Content > Actions > Settings > Completion & Certificates
How do I do this?
- From your homepage, select Content.
- Click the actions drop-down next to the course you want to alter and select Settings.
- From the left menu, select Completion & Certifications.
- Either create a new certificate or locate the certificate that you would like to alter, and click the pencil icon.
- If you chose to have your certificate expire on a specific date or after a set number of days, you will see a new field for inputting your Recertification Instructions.
This field does not appear for certificates that never expire.
- Next, choose a Recertification Action.
No Action Required02
Reset progress in content
Learner receives a unique URL link in a recertification instructions email. The learner’s progress in the content will be deleted. The learner’s status is reset to "Started". The learner will need to retake the content for recertification.
Choose whether or not progress will be reset upon expiration by using the toggle 'Reset Progress Automatically upon Expiration?'. Select 'Yes' if you would like a learner's progress to automatically reset after a certification expires. If 'No', progress will not be reset until a learner manually clicks a unique URL sent to them upon expiration.
Resetting progress in Content should be used with caution.
Resetting Progress either automatically or by learner action will do the following:
- Delete all submitted assignments.
- Remove all assessment attempts.
- Clear all page views.
- This will impact Forced Linear Progression if enabled on the content.
- Set percent complete to 0%.
If this is an undesirable behavior for the client, we highly recommend creating a new course session and changing the Recertification Action to "Custom action text & URL".03
Custom Action Text & URL
Learner receives a call-to-action button in a recertification instructions email, linking to another piece of content or another session and the learner will need to compete this new content to recertify. You will need to complete the necessary fields if you select this option.04
Recertify in the Current Session
Allows learners to retake the content before their certificate expires. If selected, content authors will be prompted to specify the number of days post certification the learner has to wait in order to recertify for the content. In order for the learner’s progress to be reset, the learner’s access to the content must first be revoked and then the learner must re-enroll in the content.
A learner’s access can be revoked through the following ways:
- Ecommerce Setting: 'Limit Days of Access After Purchasing?'
- Registration & Redemption Code setting 'Days of Access' Field
- Manually revoked by a manager
Once the learner re-enrolls in the course, either through repurchase, registration or redemption codes, or manager provisioning, the learner’s previous progress is then reset and the learner can recertify.
We recommend using this setting with content items that also use ecommerce. In order to make this setting work, you should also enable three advanced ecommerce settings (Content > Actions > Settings > Ecommerce > Advanced):
- Restart Progress After Re-Enrollment
- Limit Days of Access After Purchasing?
- Allow Repurchase?
- Populate the Recertification Instructions field with custom text that will inform the learner on how they can recertify.
- Use this field to instruct the learner on how to achieve recertification (if needed).
- This message along with the recertification action (if present), will be sent to the learner as an email notification 30 days, 7 days, and 1 day before the certificate expires.
- If a recertification action is specified and the learner takes the action from the first two notifications, the learner will not receive subsequent notifications.
- Click Save.
What does this look like?
Reset Progress in Content:
Custom Action Text & URL:
Recertify in Current Session:
Ecommerce Advanced Settings that relate to the Recertify in Current Session action: